In April 2021, the Porto Santo Charter was published, a political instrument that aims to guide the European Union’s programmes, strategies and processes of governments, institutions and citizens, reinforcing the importance of culture, arts, heritage and education for promoting democracy.
On 13 and 14 November 2023, the National Plan for the Arts, the European Network of Observatories in the Field of Arts and Cultural Education, the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, the Caldas da Rainha School of Arts and Design, in articulation with the UNESCO Chair in Arts and Culture Management, Cities and Creativity of the Polytechnic of Leiria and other bodies, national and international organisations, join forces to discuss strategic convergences between the youth, education and culture sectors, to design policies that promote the cultural rights of young people in a democratic society and, specifically, the role of cultural and artistic education for the development of cultural citizenship.
The conference aims to gather reflections and data that allow the elaboration of an addendum to the Porto Santo Charter, where emphasis will be placed on the perspective of young people on access to culture and on the role of culture in promoting democracy, emphasising the structuring contribution of cultural and artistic education (formal and non-formal) in the empowerment of this generation.
The conference will be attended by European policymakers and civil servants from ministries responsible for youth, culture and education, together with young people, teachers, local partners, researchers and practitioners in the fields of culture, education and youth policies, representatives of public and private institutes, members of academic, artistic and cultural communities.
The conference will be an ecosystem of ideas, innovation and inspiration, providing a platform for listening to and empowering young people and promoting positive change in our communities in favour of cultural citizenship and democracy.
What to expect
– Engaging Keynote Speakers: Interact with influential leaders who have ignited change and transformed lives through their commitment to artistic, cultural and educational impact.
– Hands-on sessions, where you’ll discuss ideas and strategies to drive impactful cultural initiatives and promote democracy.
– Listen to Young People about their roles as cultural agents for democracy: What are they proposing, and how can we work together.
– Showcase of Youth Initiatives: Witness the impressive projects and campaigns created by young people already making a difference in culture and the promotion of democracy.
– Networking Opportunities: Connect with like-minded individuals, organizations, and mentors who share your aspirations for a better world.